Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tennis Lessons have begun

Did I mention that we are members of a gym? It's called "Barclays" which is the name of our bank here in Zambia. They offer membership to their gym for non-employees of Barclays, so we joined the first of the year. Since our company, IMB, requires that we maintain our BMI, we thought it well worth our time and money to try to stay in shape.


One day while playing tennis with the kids, we met Sydney. He was teaching a lesson and offered to teach the kids anytime. They had their first tennis lesson last week, and so this week I brought the camera to get some action shots. I have been talking with Sydney about what we are here in Zambia for, and I'm praying that we can be a witness to him each week as we meet for tennis.
Life in Zambia is different, but the same. Let me explain... A lot of things in Lusaka are "westernized" mainly because of all the Americans moving here, but yet it is still different in that things don't go exactly as planned. For instance, when I called Sydney to ask if he could teach a lesson, he agreed and we set a time (that's normal, right?) But when I arrived at the gym, he was not there. I sent him a text message to see if he was coming. He replied that he needed a ride to the gym and wondered if I could pick him up. Because I was already at the gym, I told him that we would just wait until he got a ride himself. About 45 minutes later, we began our lesson. So, things are different here. This week, Sydney arrived only 15 minutes late, so he suggested that next week we meet 15 minutes later than usual so that he would be on time next week.

No comments: