Saturday, January 12, 2008

Packages Arrive

Our packages have started arriving from home, and the kids think it's Christmas all over again. This week we received 2 packages from MeMe and PopPop, and 1 package from Uncle Liles. We are expecting more packages from the States next week, so we will continue to get our Christmas presents from our family back home. It is great seeing the kids' faces light up for the simpliest of things - like Whales crackers. Or to see me & Ricky go crazy for Jif Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly, and Lipton Tea Bags. We could survive without them in Zambia, but it sure is nice having a little taste of home here with us. Lusaka has come a long way with things you can purchase here.

Some of the missionaries we encounter tell us that Lusaka used to not be this modernized, so we are fortunate to find a lot of items they didn't have just a few years ago. Here is list of some items in the grocery that I took for granted back in the States -- like flour tortillas, bags of shredded lettuce or cabbage, shredded cheese, Hotdog buns, grape jelly, brown sugar, Hamburger helper, Can Cinnamon Rolls, or instant mashed potatoes. I just can't find them here, so I have to either make them from scratch or do without. I have become resourceful with recipes, and I am finally learning to cook. Ricky says I knew "how" to cook, I just didn't "do it" a lot. Now, our stove and oven is getting used quit a bit (Ha! Ha!). We are still eating out some just to get out of the house, but it's different from running to the drive-thru at McD's or Subway. Yes, even Subway takes a while here. Everywhere you go, it is slow. That's Africa! And there are no drive-thrus, so be blessed you guys back home - I'm really craving a McD's Big Mac and fries (or "chips" as they call them here). Some of you have asked about pictures of the Subway to compare them to the states. I am working on getting some pictures of the stores, but everytime I go there I forget my camera. Inside the Subway, they look just like the ones in the US. The only differences are: Chicken instead of Turkey (it's a cultural thing), one type of cheese (and not always available), minimal choice of veggies (not always available, either), no toaster oven, no fountain drinks (only bottle), and usually you have to think of something else you want just in case they are out (which is almost everytime). I remember at College Street the last Sunday we were home, when Paul T. told our church, "Everytime you see a Subway, remember to pray for the Cooks in Zambia." Well, everytime I see a Subway (and there are 3 here in Lusaka), I pray for my church back home as well as our family in Denmark. We appreciate all your prayers for us as we minister to the people here in Zambia. And if it's possible, could someone mail me a Big Mac with Fries!

No comments: